The History of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling
The First Baptist Church of Mount Sterling was organized in 1797 under the leadership of Elder David Barrow. The first worship services were held in a crude log structure near the site of the old Mary Chiles Hospital. Upon Elder Barrow's death, the congregation chose Elder "Raccoon" John Smith as pastor. However, the church divided in 1826 as Elder Smith became deeply involved in the Alexander Campbell movement, in which they ceased to be identified as Baptists.
No known efforts were made to constitute another Baptist church until 1870 led by Dr. Pike Powers. This original congregation consisted of 8 members. In October of that year, the church bought property on West Main Street for $1,000 and constructed a new brick building of worship. Services were held in this building until 1916 in which the church built on the corner of West High Street and Howard Avenue. A dedication service for that church building took place on December 12, 1916. There were no structural changes until 1957 in which a new educational building was added onto the sanctuary. Later, the church bought the house adjoining the church property on Howard Street and used this space for Youth Sunday School classes and activities.
In the mid 1980's, much discussion was given to the future of First Baptist Church. A "Facilities Needs Committee" report in July of 1986 recommended three options:
In the 1950-60's, mission efforts by First Baptist members helped to begin First Baptist Church on Spring Street and Reid Village Baptist Church. In 1986, FBC Mt. Sterling reported a resident membership of 606 and a nonresident membership of 138. It is and has been for many years a fully cooperating member of Central Kentucky Network of Baptists (Formerly known as the Elkhorn Association) and the Southern Baptist Convention. The Woman's Missionary Union, with its auxiliaries, have been a strong force in the life and work of the church.
(LEFT & ABOVE) The worship building of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling on West High Street from 1916 to 2003.
(BELOW) The worship building of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling on Woodford Drive from 2003 to Present.
The Pastors of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling
The list of Senior Pastors of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling includes men who served as Governor, Congressman, Civil War General, and of course leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention. If you have photographs, stories, or historical information about any of these pastors, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(LEFT) Green Clay Smith, Pastor of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling from 1881-1883.
If you have photos, stories, or historical information of former pastors of First Baptist Church Mount Sterling please send them to our office at email@example.com.